Wednesday 16 July 2008

Day 9 - Keychain

Hey guys, today was our day off. I went to the gym with London Hunk where he showed Blackswan and I various weight training exercises. I was about ten minutes late but Blackswan had only just started his workout (he was supposed to have started an hour before me) so I gathered proceedings were running about an hour late anyway! I watched Chris' workout and learned the various forms - London Hunk managed to pack it all in before the gym closed.

Having competed in very demanding sports at an international level throughout my teens, I've done lots of weight training and cardio so most of the routines are very familiar...admittedly, since getting into my current line of work I've barely seen the inside of a gym in three years! Still, every day I have a thirty minute stretching routine that I love to do. I walk asolutely everywhere and eat well so I'm in decent basic shape.

I told London Hunk straight up that my fitness goal is to be able to walk up hills at 70 years old. In other words, to have the mobility and strength to enjoy my body as much as possible for as long as possible. I'm not interested in bulking up or being able to outperform a professional athlete - I've been to those places when I was younger and they're not where I'm focused in my life right now.

So that means that although my fitness regime is the same as the other Rockstars, my diet plan will be quite different. No supplements - just green drinks three times a day (powdered vegetables) and a protein shake after workout. I will receive all my other nutrients through the sorts of normal, healthy foods that anybody can afford to eat. This is something I was quite firm about - I want to build a healthier lifestyle that I can carry through the next years of my life. I'm aiming for balance.

London Hunk was happy to go with my specific goals, and designed my plan with these in mind. I'm not going to be rushing towards full body change - I'll be working hard but with the goal of slow, sustainable change and a healthy lifestyle that will last beyond the 8 weeks of Rockstar.

It's a bit like learning game - although we are sarging every day, it is actually beneficial (I would say crucial) to have other passions and interests in your life. I would go so far as to say that if game is the most important thing in your life, then your game will never be as good as someone who has game as a high priority, but still gives over their most significant time and passion to other interests. Having met so many great instructors with truly awesome game, that previous sentence holds true to every single one of them. Yes, game is a high level priority, but there is so much more to them than sarging and day2's.

Mr.M emphasised this in our last theory session - as Rockstars we are encouraged to take up a hobby or skill outside of 1) our careers 2) game. This is to teach us to become more rounded people and provides value neutralising hooks and conversation topics to discuss when meeting value connectors (I'm aware that that last sentence is jargon city!).

I went back to London Hunk's place after the gym session and we chatted for a while about all sorts of topics. We chatted a lot on the meet and greet as well, I really like London Hulk's passion for life. He was telling me that the shortcut to the top in any field is to do the thing that everyone in that field says is impossible - such as his full body change, which his trainer said could never happen (just check out his lss.com posts). He said this is what attracted him to Rockstar: could he keep six guys who are sarging and working every single day in improving physical condition?

I admire all the work, effort and very long hours he has put into our programmes - what a legend!

Keychain

0 comments: